Maximum allowable operating pressure (MAOP) standards have already begun to be implemented by some US states, and are soon to be implemented in more. Wood Group has been working with clients to get these standards in place through document research and spreadsheet documentation for all existing pipeline assets.
GIS/MAOP validation is becoming one of the most prioritised goals for pipeline companies. As federal safety standards for gas pipelines have recently been passed, compliance for operators includes the retrieval of records that evaluate potential corrosion or unsafe design pressures.
Wood Group’s GIS team strives to ensure the safety of your assets and compliance with new legislation regarding gas pipelines by the US Department of Transportation (DOT) and Pipeline & Hazardous Materials Safety Administration (PHMSA). The most recent guidelines for energy companies drafted by PHMSA are regarded under Title 49 Code of Federal Regulation (49CFR) Section 192.619(a), which addresses four broad areas of concern:
- Design records and pipe fittings’ yield strength
- Strength test pressure recordings
- History of a pipeline operating pressure prior to the passing of the Nov 12, 1970 federal ASME guidelines
- Maximum pressure safely allowed considering the pipeline’s history and current operating records
The final product for many pipeline companies has been to establish a proper MAOP along with undisputable records to justify operating at these pressures with proven supporting documentation that satisfies current and probable future legislation by PHMSA and federal pipeline regulations.
Specialised personnel trained in evaluating pipeline records pinpoint exact locations of critical pipeline attributes, enabling clients to determine measurements of safety with relation to updated federal guidelines.
Clients benefit from the vast depth of experience and from the expert assistance GIS specialists provide in compiling, interpreting and maintaining records that are traceable, verifiable and complete. We provide the following services:
- Modern software documentation to validate safety and management of pipelines, fittings, and surrounding infrastructure, including services and staff to incorporate the validated pipeline assets into the preferred GIS database schema.
- Supply of talented individuals with the capacity and flexibility to meet deadlines as and when required.
- Web mapping based on existing GIS databases and platforms to support MAOP validation and asset management.
- Delivery of research, retrieval and analysis of all client-supplied historical data including purchase/as-built documentation and strength test reports.
- Calculation and assessment of pipeline design factors and MAOPs, while offering cost-effective solutions and engineering craft to resolve existing design flaws.
- Quality assurance by traveling to the client’s home base for consulting, and facilitating professional reviews for final target objectives. GIS provides dedicated employee focus and professionalism toward meeting your company’s needs.
Wood Group’s ultimate goal is to support our client with any and all functions of the project, upholding integrity and client confidentiality, principles on which the company was founded.